Working at UPS
UPS is only as successful as its employees. We want every employee – whether part-time or full-time, whether working with us for a year or a lifetime – to view UPS as a great place to work, build a career, support their family and achieve their goals.
We believe we have the best workforce in the industry and employ some of the hardest working people in the world. That’s why, working together with the Teamsters, UPS now provides our unionized employees with the best total compensation package in the industry.
We also believe there’s more to a job than a paycheck. We provide training programs, internal promotion opportunities and tuition reimbursement options which give our employees fulfilling positions that advance their short-terms goals and pave the way for their life long careers.
- Tuition assistance is available to many of our part-time employees.
- In 2017, UPS invested more than $31 million in the college education of more than 12,000 employees.
- The “Earn & Learn” part-time tuition reimbursement program gives eligible part-time employees the opportunity to earn up to $25,000 (lifetime maximum) for college tuition and expenses.
- Part-time employees are eligible for this program at select locations the day they are hired.
- In 2017, almost 5,800 employees participated in Earn & Learn.
Promotion from Within
UPS has one of the longest-standing promotion-from-within policies of any company in the U.S. Since the early 1900s, UPS has embraced programs that allow entry-level and part-time employees to rise as far as their desire and their abilities take them.
- More than 70,000 current full-time drivers were once part-time employees, and more than 50,000 members of the UPS management team were once non-management employees.
- In 2016, 18,285 part-time employees advanced to full-time work.
- At the end of 2016, UPS’s management ranks included 5,250 employees who were promoted into management for the first time.